Surgery Day Instructions
Cataract, Cosmetic, or Functional Surgery
- Wyatt Surgery Center will call 24 hours prior to your procedure with the actual time of arrival.
- If you don’t feel well, call your surgeon’s office.
- Check with your doctor about any medications you regularly take. Make sure they may be taken the day before, the day of and the day after surgery.
- DO NOT EAT 8 hours before your arrival. This includes gum, hard candy, mints and cough drops. Otherwise your surgery will be cancelled. You may have water up to 4 hours before your surgery.
- Expect to be at the Surgery Center for at least 1 to 3 hours.
- We recommend you have someone with you for 24 hours following surgery.
- Arrange to arrive at your scheduled time. Due to COVID restrictions, your ride may not wait for you in the lobby.
- Wear comfortable and loose clothing with tops that button in the front.
Day of Surgery
- Please shower before you come and remove all jewelry and make up. Do not use lotions or oils after bathing.
- Do not eat 8 hours prior to your procedure. You may have water up to 4 hours before your surgery.
- Bring your insurance cards, picture ID, form of payment for fees along with the Wyatt Surgery Center Pre-Registration Forms.
- Do not take insulin, diabetic medication, diuretics on the day of surgery.
- Take blood pressure or heart medications with a sip of water unless otherwise directed by your physician.
- You should allow a minimum of 1 to 3 hours for your stay.
- Prior to surgery a nurse will take your vitals.
- A nurse will go over all post-operative instructions with you following surgery.
- Your driver should stay at Wyatt Surgery Center for the entire time.
- Follow the post-operative instructions that the nurse reviewed and provided to you.
- After you have returned home, be sure to follow your doctor’s orders regarding diet, rest, and medication.
- Call your surgeon if you have unusual or unexpected symptoms or changes in your condition.
- Resume your normal diet. If general anesthesia was administered, start with clear liquids and proceed as tolerated to your normal diet.
- It is not unusual to feel a little sleepy or dizzy for several hours after surgery.
- The staff will phone the day after surgery to see how you are and answer any questions you may have.
- For 24 hours following your surgery DO NOT:
- OPERATE MACHINERY
- MAKE IMPORTANT DECISIONS OR SIGN ANY LEGAL DOCUMENTS
Other Procedures (YAG/SLT/PI ONLY, Not Cataract Surgery)
- You may take your medications as usual.
- You may eat and drink prior to your procedure.
- You will not need a person to stay with you after your laser procedure.
- Please bring sunglasses with you. This will provide comfort when exposed to bright light.
- Expect to be at the Surgery Center for at least 1 to 3 hours. This includes admission, preparation time, surgery, recovery time and discharge.
- You may be given a tentative time of arrival for your procedure at your surgeon’s office. Wyatt Surgery Center will call you 24 hours prior to your procedure with the actual time of arrival.